The Top 5 Women’s Shorts for Indoor Cycling
Whether you’re riding a Peloton bike, an indoor smart bike or using your own bike with a smart or manual trainer, women’s padded indoor cycling shorts are a must. We’ve all experienced the discomfort of riding the wrong saddle and the literal pain of trying to hop back on the spin bike the second day. Fortunately, technology has come a long way from sheepskin chamois and wool shorts. Today you can find varying hem lengths, multi-panel shorts with added compression panels, high-waisted and comfy yoga style shorts, chamois that come in varying thickness and anatomical channeling. Today we will be reviewing our top 5 favourite women’s shorts for indoor cycling.
Pearl Izumi Women’s Sugar 5” Short $65
One of our favourite pairs of women’s spinning shorts is the Sugar Short by Pearl Izumi. We love the wide, contoured waistband that is high cut in the back; not only is it flattering but it’s very comfortable against the tummy too. The lightweight, breathable fabric is a great option for spinning indoors where temperatures are often hotter than outdoors. We love the addition of the stow pockets on the outside of the legs, perfect for stashing energy gels or chews or other mid-workout snacks. And the Select Escape 1:1 chamois gives you enough padding without feeling like you’re wearing a diaper.
- Soft, lightweight, and high stretch SELECT Transfer fabric
- Flattering wide waistband with encased elastic for superior comfort
- Power mesh stretch pockets on lower legs for small essentials, like a key, credit card, or energy gel; Dim: 3” x 2.5”
- Blended thickness Women’s SELECT Escape 1:1® Chamois for chafe free comfort
- BioViz® reflective elements for low-light visibility
- 5” inseam length
- Main Body: 78% polyester, 22% elastane Mesh: 95% nylon, 5% elastane
- Made in Vietnam
Velocio Women’s Signature Short $169
The Signature short is a true cycling short and is appropriate for indoor and outdoor cycling. Velocio designed this short based on feedback from professional female cyclists who provided critical input into chamois placement, constructions, and design.
Velocio uses recycled Italian compression Lycra which offers a light and supportive feel and has been designed to offer the highest level of muscle support. We love the comfort and flattering fit of the yoga-style waist yet the short still feels incredibly supportive when in or out of the saddle. The longer inseam is perfect for women who prefer more coverage whether from personal choice or to aid in compression for varicose veins.
Pricing on the Signature short is much higher than others on our lists but we see the value in the recycled Italian Lycra and the quality of the chamois. If you have the budget for this high-end short, then we recommend purchasing a pair for your next indoor cycling workout.
- Made in Italy
- Fabric: 78% recycled polyamide/22% recycled elastane
- 100% recycled premium Italian compression Lycra
- 6-panel design: anatomically cut, compressive and supportive
- Seamless microfiber leg gripper
- Proprietary Signature Chamois
- Yoga style waistband for comfort and support
Castelli Velocissima 2 Short $110usd
This is Castelli’s midrange performance short, great for an indoor or outdoor endurance ride. Castelli’s Endurance Evolution fabric is a high-modulus, moisture-wicking matte Lycra fabric that provides just the right amount of compression. The waist design eliminates stitching and elastic and lies completely flat against the skin. At the leg ending they use a raw-cut edge with vertical silicone strips like their top-of-the-line Premio shorts to keep the leg in place without the pressure that creates the dreaded sausage effect. And of course, a great short requires a great seat pad, and the women’s-specific KISS Air2 pad will keep you comfortable without being too bulky.
- Endurance Evolution fabric with a matte finish and 4-way stretch
- Laser cut hem on legs eliminates pinching skin
- Vertical silicone strips hold leg endings in place
- Women-specific KISS Air2 seat pad for long-distance comfort.
Specialized Women’s RBX Short $60
The RBX Women’s Cycling Short is our favourite short for comfort. The soft four-way stretch fabric and articulated design ensure a perfect fit, but where the real comfort comes is from the Women’s Body Geometry 3D Chamois. It features a pre-molded shape that matches the curve of your spin bike saddle, reducing wrinkles and hot spots. Top it off with a super soft top sheet to reduce friction and you’re left with all-day comfort.
While we loved the feel of this short, the big, bulky chamois might not be for everyone. They’re comfy cycling shorts yes but they do look diaper-like if you’re wearing them under a pair of baggy shorts. Yet still, for those who have comfort as their number one criterion then the RBX shorts are a winner.
- Silicone-infused fabric cuff provides a gentle, secure hold on the legs to ensure the perfect, shift-free fit.
- 8″ inseam (size Medium).
- Fabric Content: 78% Nylon, 22% Elastane
- Reflective elements increase your visibility to motorists in low-light conditions.
- UPF 50+ rating protects your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays.
- Women’s-specific Body Geometry 3D Chamois is pre-molded to match the shape of the female body for comfort.
Louis Garneau Neo Power Motion 7 $86.99
The Neo Power Motion 7 shorts tops our list for the best indoor cycling short. Not only do they provide comfort, but they also take the win for the most flattering short. Their Motion Airgel chamois hugs the body providing more than comfort; frankly some days looking great during a workout tops the priority list. Fortunately, you won’t have to give up comfort with these women’s spin class shorts. The 7-inch seam will appeal to most women who want a shorter, cooler short for indoor cycling without going to the super short 5 -nch inseam.
- Elastic closure
- The Motion Airgel chamois is made from high-density foam and a perforated gel insert that offer comfort and breathability while eliminating pinching and chafing.
- Compressive: The Neo Power Motion shorts’ compression favors blood circulation to the muscles, which allows for better performance and increased resistance to fatigue.
- Stay in place: The Powerband compressive cuff reduces lower leg pressure, provides support, and keeps the garment in place without restricting circulation.
- Comfortable: The flatlock seams offer greater comfort. The Power + Lycra compression fabric fits the muscle shape and provides maximum support.
- Visible: The reflective accents provide extra safety in low light.
Helpful Tips on How to care for your indoor cycling apparel:
USE SIMPLE DETERGENTS WITH NO ADDITIVES Never use detergents with fabric softeners, perfumes, or any additive type of product. The general rule of thumb is the simpler the better. Many detergents with additives leave “surfactants” behind on a fabric’s fibers that inhibit the technical performance. Typically, the best detergents to use will have “Clear” or “Free” in their names. Don’t pour the detergent directly onto the clothing, put it in the washer first, when you start the water. READ THE CONTENT CARE LABEL: On the inside of your garment, or on the hang card, there are instructions for the care of that individual piece. On finer fabrics, use a “Gentle” cycle. Close all zippers, attach “hook and loop” closures on gloves YOU CAN USE THE DRYER, CAREFULLY: If you use a dryer be sure to use a lower / warm heat setting (Do NOT use a commercial dryer or a “Hot” setting). This will often restore the fabric and help the water and wind repellent qualities. If in doubt, hang the clothing to dry.
Let’s be honest there are some beautiful women indoor cycling shorts on this list, and it is difficult to pick what short to use next time you hop on the your magnetic spin bike. The prices also vary a lot making it even more difficult. The stand-out women’s indoor cycling short for me are the Pearl Izumi Sugar, though, are by far the best choice. They can be used indoor and outdoor. It’s best on price and made of good durable material. They have options for color and also that lovely breathable material. The other women’s studio cycling short are still great value for money, but this is the editor’s choice for sure. Regardless which women’s spin bike short you buy, I recommend you to also consider a set of indoor cycling shoes for safety, efficiency, and comfort.