Precor EFX 835 with converging cross ramp review
Precor EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp is one of the latest Precor elliptical models on the market.
Here is the deal:
Before we go deeper into details you need to know there are two models of EFX 835, the old basic model without the Converging Cross Ramp and this new model with the Converging CrossRamp.
However, the difference between these two models does not end here. They have different look and frame design, different moving handlebars, this model has 15 preset-program but the old model has only 6 preset-programs and also a few other things.
The differences are enough to say that they are two completely different machines with similar names, except this one has the word Converging CrossRamp added to it.
EFX 835 with converging Cross-Ramp overview
EFX® 835 with Converging CrossRamp is gaining quite a good reputation on the market especially on the gym floors due to its innovative ramp design. The solid construction and the Cross-Ramp design create a natural stride motion which makes the Precor EFX 835 commercial elliptical one of a kind.
Precor engineers spent decades of hard work to stand where they are in the fitness industry today. The result of their innovative hard work can be seen on the gym floors, military bases, homes, hospitals, rehabilitation centers etc.
You would barely find someone with a Precor EFX 835 cross trainer who wouldn’t recommend you the EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp. So, let’s find out why the Precor EFX 835 elliptical with Converging CrossRamp is favored by many.
Precor EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp offers two sets of well designed narrow hand-grips convenient for all user heights. The EFX 835 also has a dual coated solid steel frame and durable plastic covers to protect the parts and mechanism. There are 20 magnetic resistance levels on this model that provides a quiet and smooth ride.
The resistance also offers powerful tension to allow the trainees to do strength training in addition to the cardio workout. The incline ramp is adjustable from 10-35° which creates a nice steep to mimic stair/hill climbing. EFX 835 with converging cross ramp also features a large easy to read LED display with 20+ readouts, easy to reach control motions to adjust the incline and resistance.
There is also the muscle monitor on the right-hand side of the console to help the user better understand the muscles being used. Precor EFX 835 is self-powered and also has an optional power supply which helps the owner to save on the electricity bills.
what makes the Precor EFX 835 elliptical unique compared to any other elliptical on the market IS the converging Cross-Ramp. Thanks to the innovative Converging Cross-Ramp technology that results in a patented elliptical path to ensure a unique natural running stride that lets the user converge toward the mid-line of their body.
Here is what many people don’t know about EFX 835:
On Precor EFX 835 elliptical you can’t adjust the stride length without adjusting the incline ramp. The stride length adjustability is not independent like the E5. The stride adjusts from 21″ to 25″ when you adjust the incline ramp. Therefore, there is no button/controls on the console to adjust the stride.
You should go for the Precor EFX 835 elliptical if:
- You are an elite or novice exerciser. This top-of-the-line elliptical will bring you the best results and provide a satisfactory workout. The shape of the handlebars and the new design of the frame and structure allows all user sizes to comfortably exercise on the EFX 835.
- You are a club owner. Do you want your clients and trainees to experience something special, something they don’t get in all gyms? The Precor EFX 835 elliptical can add perfection to your ground. This machine is built for commercial use with high durability parts and frame. So, you don’t have to deal with technicians every day. The parts are covered and they are easy to disinfect and clean. The statue light at the back tells you the condition of your machine and warns of any technical issue.
- You are a tall, heavyweight trainee. No matter what’s your height, the stride together with the incline can be adjusted from 21″-25″. The only side to that is the fact that you need to adjust the incline to change the stride length.
- You want to have a top-notch training right at your home. If you can afford to have a commercial quality elliptical in the house, Precor EFX 835 is one of your best choices. The functionalities of this high-end cross trainer keep you entertained and always encouraged to exercise.
- You are a hill climber. The 35-degree incline ramp offers a good exercise for those who like climbing and toning up the lower-body. With Precor EFX 835 you can workout Gluteus, buttocks and calves like with no other machine.
You should NOT go for Precor EFX 835 elliptical if:
- You don’t like doing incline but want to be able to change the stride length motion. On Precor EFX 835 the stride length changes when you adjust the incline ramp. Therefore, you need to change them both together. There are some trainees who like doing only flat long and short stride motions and if you are one of them, maybe you should consider the Life Fitness E5 elliptical.
- You lack in space. The Precor EFX 835 cross trainer is rear drive and not compact. So, if you are looking for something that takes less space, we recommend you to check out the Body Solid E300. It’s a center drive commercial quality machine below $2000 price range.
- You like to interact online and connect to the apps. The Precor EFX 835 with converging cross ramp elliptical comes with the 830 Line console that features easy-to-use motion controls and a large LED-based display that focuses only on the essential fitness stats to keep users informed and engaged. It doesn’t have Bluetooth or WiFi connection capability.
What is special about EFX 835 with converging Cross Ramp elliptical
- Cross Ramp, thanks to the innovative Converging CrossRamp technology the patented elliptical path ensures a unique natural running stride that lets the user converge toward the mid-line of their body. The stride motion works parallel to each on the regular elliptical machines, however, on this model your feet somewhat come toward the center of your body. It’s bio-mechanically designed and tested to provide a natural running experience as possible.
- Self-powered, Precor EFX 835 gives you the option to use the power cord or let the machine generate the power needed. The feature gives you the freedom to place the elliptical away from the power outlets.
- Incline, Precor EFX 835 converging Cross-ramp trainer offers 10-35 degree electronically adjustable incline. It allows you to put more effort and do a proper lower body work out. The incline also changes very smoothly during the workout.
Precor EFX 835 Review
There are 20 different levels of magnetic resistance which create 720 watts with a seamless transitioning from one resistance level to the next. Higher resistance level allows you to workout your strength and builds up muscles as well as cardiovascular training.
You can change the resistance through the motion control located at the bottom of the console which is easy to reach. It’s dual-direction resistance, which means the resistance will be applied for forward and reverse motion.
The resistance calculated by watt is 18 watt the lowest and 720 watts at the highest. It offers twice more tension compared to AMT 835 and it’s enough for any level of athletes to challenge themselves.
Stride and Incline
EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp elliptical has an adjustable 21 to 25 inches stride. However, the user can NOT adjust the stride, only. The stride changes when you change the incline ramp. when the incline ramp is at lowest, the stride length is 21 inches and when the incline is at highest, the stride length is 25 inches.
Precor EFX 835 cross trainer has 10-35° electronically adjustable incline ramp. It means you can adjust the incline by a push of a button on the fly. So, the rider doesn’t need to get off to manually adjust the ramp. When adjusting the incline, the machine also adjusts the stride. The incline ramp helps to target different muscles such as Gluteus Maximus, buttocks and calves. The lower angle of ramp targets many muscle groups and the higher incline ramp focuses more on the specific muscles.
Because the stride length changes with incline ramp the short riders can’t adjust the incline to it’s maximum. So, it depends on your height. If you are taller, you can do higher ramps while shorter users better stay will less incline to keep the stride natural for their height. With that being said, the longer stride improves the cardio so, you want to try to keep the length as long as possible for your height.
The EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp features the 830 Line Console which is the new P30. It’s similar to the old P30 console that comes with the old model of EFX 835 except that on the 830 Line Console there is an audio jack and controls to adjust the volume from the console. There are 15 preset-programs which is better compared to the old one that has only 6 programs.
The P30 console features easy-to-use motion controls and a large LED display that focuses on the essential fitness stats to keep users informed and engaged. However, we were hoping that the EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp comes with the more advanced console.
On P30 console you can track the following necessary data for your workout.
- Resistance Level, watts
- Total Strides
- Cross-Ramp Level
- Strides per Min/speed
- Calories per minute and hour
- Target and Average Heart Rate
- Time Remaining and Time Elapsed
It a great feature that displays in real-time which muscles you are working. When you change the cross ramp, you also change workout on the muscles. So, the monitor keeps you fully aware of your exercise and helps you focus more on one particular muscle group.
EFX 835 with Converging CrossRamp lacks in the user profile which means you can’t save your daily workout data on the console. It’s an important feature for those who want to record their daily progress and compare them at the end of the month.
Precor EFX 835 with converging cross-ramp has 15 preset programs accessed by 6 workout keys:
The stationary handlebars have the heart rate sensors. EFX 835 with converging cross-ramp elliptical machine is also compatible with telemetry wireless chest strap. The heart rate program on the EFX 835 Converging cross-ramp allows you to stay within your target heart rate. It comes very handy for those who need to stay within a particular heart rate range. All you need to do is to put in your age, weight etc and then indicate Maximum HR range then the machine changes tension to keep you within your range.
Here is the deal with the EFX 835 console:
The P30 console doesn’t have Bluetooth or WiFi connectivity. So, you can’t go online to interact with the virtual environment, watch videos or save data on the Fitness Apps. The only wireless connections the EFX 835 can establish are with the telemetry heart rate and the C-SAFE devices used mainly in gyms and hospitals.
However, for extra motivation and entertainment during the exercise on the EFX 835 with Converging Cross Ramp, we recommend you to purchase a PVS.
PVS stands for Personal Viewing Screen. It’s made by Precor and you can mount it on the top of the console. Keep in mind that it functions only as a TV hook up and doesn’t connect with the elliptical to show states. You can change the volume and the channel from the controls built in on the console.
Handlebars and pedals
Precor EFX 835 with converging cross ramp offers two sets of well-designed handlebars unlike the old model of Precor EFX 835. The static and moving handlebars on the old model were wide so, the shorter users couldn’t have a comfortable grip and stretch fully. The moving handlebars were also simple and straight but on the new model of Precor EFX 835, the Handlebars are designed narrower with a bent which makes the upper body training more comfortable for all heights.
EFX 835 elliptical has both fixed handlebars and stationary. The fixed grips have built-in heart rate sensors and perfect for training your lower body and core. The moving handlebars allow you to do both upper and lower body workout.
Both the moving and stationary handlebars lack few features that could really make the workout more joyful. Neither of the handlebars has controls/buttons to change the resistance and incline. Unlike the Life Fitness E5 that has controls on both handlebars. The moving handlebars don’t have heart rate sensor either, however, some machines below $5000 have these features.
Precor EFX 835 with converging cross ramp trainer has over-sized polypropylene comfortable pedals to accommodate users of different sizes and they are easy to clean. They are also non-slip and have a small guard all around to keep your feet firm during the intense cardio workout.
Foot pedals dimensions: 16″L X 8″W
Minimum Space Between Foot Pedals: 1.5″
More information on EFX 835 with converging CrossRamp elliptical
Flywheel weight is not disclosed so we don’t know the weight. However, the ride is as smooth as it gets for an elliptical machine and it supports up to 350 Lbs so, it can’t be bad.
It’s also bi-directional so, you can pedal reverse and forward on the EFX 835 trainer to target different muscles. By pedaling backward you can engage your hamstrings, gluteus and lower back muscles that can make a real difference in your balance.
What’s included with Precor EFX 835
- A media rack.
- Water bottle holder
- Transport wheels
- Home use warranty:
- Lifetime on the Frame
- 10-Year Parts
- 10-Year wear items
- 1-Year labor
Note: The warranty terms vary for commercial and home use. The long length of the warranty reflects how much confidence the Precor has in the durability of this elliptical machine and it’s always a good sign.
All the sensitive parts and the frame have durable plastic covers to prevent the dust and sweat from damaging the machine. For club owners, it’s a good feature as the cleaning and disinfecting the machine is easy and takes very little time.
The active status light
Located at the rear of the machine there is blue light to tell you about the condition of your drive. You can easily inspect the machine condition of your trainer through this feature.
Step up height
It’s 8 inches which are not bad and easy for all users
Precor EFX 835 with converging cross-ramp elliptical is a self-power machine which means you don’t need to plug it into the socket to get it started. Therefore, you can save on electricity bills. However, you have the option to plug in the machine.
Precor EFX 835 with converging cross-ramp assembly
EFX 835 is a heavy machine and may require more than one person to put it together properly. Drive mechanism comes assembled but there is still a lot to put together.
So, we strongly recommend you have a technician put your multi-thousand dollar machine together. You also need to keep in mind that if anything breaks due to improper assembly, the warranty won’t cover.
Accessories to consider with EFX 835 Elliptical
- Mat to protect your floor scratches and keep the sweat off the surface
- Lubricant to protect parts against friction
- Pure Green liquid for routine cleaning and disinfecting
- Gym wipes to clean the covers and surface of the machine after use.
- The wireless T31-Coded chest strap, waterproof, lasts for up to 2,500 hours of use and compatible with Precor machines
Last Word on Precor EFX 835 Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer
The EFX 835 with converging cross ramp is one of the sturdiest elliptical trainers on the market. With the solid new sleek frame and more functionalities compared to the older version, it’s taking over many high-end gym floors.
The long-term warranty confirms the quality and company’s confidence on this cardiovascular machine. However, we admit that for above $7000 we were expecting to get a better console that’s capable of wireless connection.
There are also few other features that are missing on this machine, such as controls on the handlebars and Heat Rate sensors on the moving grips. All in all, despite the price, the Precor EFX 835 with converging cross-ramp is one of our favorite cross trainers.
But, if you can’t afford it and considering for another high-end elliptical but less expensive, we suggest you take a look at the Life Fitness E5. It’s a durable, sold elliptical with some really unique functionalities.
- Muscle monitor on the console
- Adjustable incline
- Innovative converging Cross Ramp
- Easy to remove and clean plastic covers
- 20 Magnetic resistance levels
- The sleek frame that makes it more approachable
- Smooth and quiet operation
- Long warranty policy
- C-SAFE Ready
- Active status light
- Durable covers on all the parts
- 21″-24″ Stride length
- PVS (can be purchased separately)
- The basic console (P30) isn’t Bluetooth, ANT or WiFi enabled
- It doesn’t have the speaker and cooling fan
- It doesn’t have the user profile on the console to save your daily values